Saturday, November 1, 2008

First on the Agenda: This Damn Election

Did you ever read Dr. Seuss's "The Butter Battle Book"? It is about a cold-war type standoff between the Yooks and the Zooks, two groups that live on opposite sides of a big wall. They are divided by theoretical differences, one group buttering their bread on the top; the other buttering their bread on the bottom. These opposing views keep them divided and uncompromising. The result is the creation of a series of weapons constucted to obliterate the other group. Even a child can see the error in their ways. With that said, I feel as though I am stuck in this book. At this point, I am unable to see over this wall. Unable to understand why on earth this group can't see how ridiculous it is to butter their bread the correct and proper way.

Being caught in this giant chasm of theology is frustrating to say the least...especially for someone who is usually able to see and appreciate the basic theories behind all perspectives. Even those drastically different than mine. I hoping to initiate a dialogue in this open forum to assist me in understanding the Zooks. What am I missing here?

No comments: